"Juice" by Lizzo



We can agree that Adele is the artist we listen to when it’s a sad gloomy day -- with the possible option of rain. However, Lizzo is arguably the best hype up artist. Any song from hers is a full bop. Most of her songs are throwbacks to the glam-rock aura of 70’s jams. “Juice” is my go-to for wanting to feel confident and proud. I couldn’t help but get way too into it when it played on the radio. Go ahead and listen to it while you read the rest of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaCrQL_8eMY


Lizzo starts off “Juice” with a reference to the Evil Queen from Snow White’s interaction with the mirror. However, the next line says how she doesn’t need to mirror to answer because she’s validating herself internally instead of needing outside sources to validate her. Sure, not everyone has Louis Vitton shoes, but Lizzo has to flex at some point. However, all her songs have the overarching theme of being body positive without putting others down to do so. You can see the theme show up in her pre-chorus: “If I'm shinin', everybody gonna shine (Yeah, I'm goals)/ I was born like this, don't even gotta try (Now you know)


What I love about her music is that she advocates loving yourself and being happy without needing validation from others. Singing along with her is so amazing because it makes you say positive things about yourself. The occasional cuss word is fun the shout out too: “Heard you say I’m not the baddest, bitch, you lied!” Another one of my favorite lines from the song is: “No, I'm not a snack at all/ Look, baby, I'm the whole damn meal (Ooh, baby)”





Lizzo is a force to be reckoned with. She’s a proud fierce woman who I’m happy to call a role model. It’s hard to find upbeat songs that have so much meaning in their lyrics. Maybe that’s why I’ve gotten sick of other feel-good songs like Pharrell Williams’s “Happy”, but I’ve never gotten tired of listening to Lizzo’s songs. I’m so happy that Lizzo rose to fame because she deserves it. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ll be over here listening to “Juice” for the thousandth time.

Comments

  1. Bro I love Lizzo. I agree she does a great job of body positivity for all and loving your skin. I think this is something that Meghan Trainor was trying to do but she didn't do it in the right way. I thought this was a very fun blog post, and enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of artists, particularly female artists, advocate for positivity in their music. However, I feel the way that Lizzo does it is really special and cool. The way she loves herself make you want to also love yourself. Her songs really are the ultimate hype songs. I die every-time she busts out her flute (its so funny/awesome). Truth Hurts is probably my favorite Lizzo song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree, Lizzo has only come into the popculture sphere very recently but she has made an huge impact. I think it speaks to the growth of our society and the music industry that such an amazing women can be doing what she does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Lizzo too. She's so inspirational and I think she's changing pop culture in such a good way. I really want to go see her in concert too, where I've heard she gives talks about body positivity and loving yourself. I also really want to see her take out that flute!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mindset

A Bright-Pink Disney Princess Alarm Clock