Mindset

              It hit me as I was video-calling my mom and sobbing: I never gave myself a break.

              Flashback to my junior year, everyone hustling to their classes and signing up for the retched thing we called standardized testing. It’s the year when we’re finally on the first floor, seen as upperclassmen, and starting our college process. I thought I had everything down pat: I signed myself up for two semesters with six-seven classes, ran three separate clubs (participated in an additional one), and registered for volleyball in the fall.
              A mantra repeated itself in my head: if you’re not doing something perfectly at any given moment, you’re not doing enough. Unfortunately, that seems to be the culture of Uni in general. We’re all so high-achieving that we forget to slow down and give ourselves a break. We’re always thinking, “what’s next?” I bet if I walked up to any student in the building and asked how’s their stress level, they’d something like “too high.” I honestly just find the response satirically funny, however, what boggles me is that they don’t realize they’re doing it to themselves.
              I didn’t even realize I was stretching myself thin until my mom went back to China during the fall for her college class reunion and visit my grandparents for two weeks. I was extremely happy for her and urged her to go. I thought it shouldn’t be too hard to do a couple chores directly after volleyball practice and still get my work done. Let me give you a little context, I'm a low-key control freak at home: The dishes must be scrubbed clean, dinner must be served at 6:45 PM (at the latest), and dad mustn’t enter the kitchen (my reason: he always put sugar in every dish he made and didn’t know where most ingredients/spices were). So, I decided to not only attend relatively intense classes, participate in four clubs, and play high school volleyball, but I also decided to cook and clean the house every day. Spoiler alert: I cracked.
              Ten days after following this schedule later, I’m on the phone with my mom trying to give her an update on how’s it going at home. I don’t even remember how I started crying, but I was stressed out of my mind begging my mom to come home quicker. She said something I’ll never forget: “It’s okay to be stressed, but all you need to do is keep doing like you have been and you’ll make it. I’ll be home soon.” My problem was not the schedule or my mom leaving the house. I was trying so hard to do everything by myself.
              I feel that the biggest obstacle you can face is yourself – more specifically, your mental space. Perhaps you, the reader, felt I was doing too much, however, that’s the illusion. I could give you a solid reason why I wanted to continue everything that I was doing.  I realized I needed to reset, to relax; I needed to reorganize my head space as if I were doing my annual spring cleaning. No, this does not mean watching ten straight episodes of my favorite TV show or giving myself a spa day when I have a paper due the next day. This is validating myself as capable when I think the world is conspiring against me. This is understanding that I have a reason for everything I do, and if I don’t, it’s not worth my time. This is my life, and it’s enough.

Comments

  1. I have learned that depending on my mindset, I can get work done, or not. For me to be efficient, hard-working and ruthless with my time management I have to do two things. One is organize my life to the best of my ability, and the second, more important thing, is to believe and tell myself that I CAN be efficeint and hard working, no matter how many how many things I have to do. I CAN manage my time and work quickly, even though I want to be lazy. Following this mindset, I can convince myself that I can work toward doing great things in my life. I CAN go to a good college, though it is extremely tough. I CAN become a doctor, though I will be grinding for the next ten years. Perhaps, my mindset can fuel my motivation too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m also guilty of having this type of mindset. I have moments where I am unable to work because I am too burned out, but I feel like any moment I am not working is time I’m wasting. It was very difficult to tell myself that I needed to take breaks and that it was okay to do so. I’m really glad you wrote about this because I think it’s very important for everyone to realize that taking breaks is healthy and okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you say in the last paragraph. I think that a lot of people equate self care with face masks or movie nights, and, while those can be manifestations of self care, a lot of mental self care is much more challenging, and involves a lot of self reflection and discipline. It's great that you recognize what you were doing to yourself, and that you were able to grow from that experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so much happier when I do less things because I'm always tired or injured or sick, and not having a hundred things to do means I have time to avoid doing the 5 things I have to do and can do whatever I want instead. If I'm not making it up at the last minute it's not going to be work I'm proud of, so instead of spending forever trying to perfect something I spend a little while trying to make it pretty decent.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Juice" by Lizzo

A Bright-Pink Disney Princess Alarm Clock